Wednesday, February 25, 2009

cost -vs- worth

Have you watched the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic yet? Definitely a chick flick in so many ways, but this movie had a beautiful underlying cause around choices and how they define you. While we all make choices every day of our life, how often do we actually intentionally own how our choices affect us and those around us. The way I see it, we can have a strong and infectious passion that drives our presence, but it can be fogged by so many things. We have this delicious & shimmering life force, the essence that shares love and carries us through the dimmer and questionable parts of life. Our choices can make our life force murky... and cause the brilliant stream that connects one to another to flicker and maybe even compromise the connection. This force recognizes the force in others, but when our concentration is on other things ( new shoes, new dress, new purse, new sofa, new blah blah blah... ) the connection falters and begins to drift away. Other things take its place and that shimmering life force is all of a sudden tarnished with the absence of life and cold bling bling. In the movie, the guy points us to the difference between cost and worth. Before every dollar spend and every decision made... take a few minutes and ask yourself, "What is the cost and what is it worth?". Today, I had a list a mile long of things to do. I'd not been able to do much for the past few days... family obligations, etc... This morning, my mom, asked me to accompany her to Wal-mart and help her grocery shop, pick up meds, etc.. I wanted to say "no" simply because I had so many things that I felt behind in. I stopped and measured the cost and worth of the situation. I know that my mom is 85 years old and there's no promise as to how long she will bless us with her smile and wisdom. The cost is nothing compared to the worth.
Should you be someone that makes choices and second guesses them... as we all do. Should you be someone that looks back on choices gone bad and beat yourself up time and time again... as we all do on occasion. Know that you are one of millions. We're all human and can't expect to get it right all of the time. It may help, however, to stop and give yourself a minute to measure the cost -vs- the worth when you're torn between "should I" or "shouldn't I". And if you've not watched the movie CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC, treat yourself to a movie. It definitely leaned in favor of "worth" in my book!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Robin.
You are right- sometimes we forget how much more important things are -- compared to "obligations"
Can't wait to see what you post next!
deb :)

Anonymous said...

test

David Albright said...

Wow you go girl!

Anonymous said...

Thoughtful and beautiful. I've always been good with "cost vs worth" when it comes to money but have never thought to use this in reference to relationships.