Saturday, September 12, 2009

A hand picked moment from Zinger Zanger

I've been sick this week and to my delight, I handled it a bit different than past illnesses. This life coaching gig that I've stepped into is influencing ME, as well as my clients... and I love it.

As I work with clients, I often ask them the question, "What is your body trying to tell you?". This week, I stopped and asked myself that question. I knew the answer! My body is screaming for rest and NOT just an hour of email time or an hour to sit with my eyes peeled to some random TV show. My body was requesting an hour of pure, peaceful rest. My tendency, like most is... OVERDRIVE. I will stay up until the wee hours of the morning cramming in as many tasks as possible, gearing up for the next day of to-do lists. Recognizably... I have plenty to do! However, this time I chose differently. I chose to listen to my body.

Here is the hand picked moment that I'd like to share:
I escaped the web of 21st century communications by merely walking out to my backyard. I sat in my meager lawn chair, propped my feet up with a second meager lawn chair, closed my eyes and experienced a moment. With my eyes closed, I felt the sun. I'm convinced that the sun has great healing powers-with all of that energy and huge doses of vitamin D-how could it not. I beckoned it's healing power, asking it's help to rid me of my congestion. I felt it. As if God's hand slowly waved a warm, healing power from my head to my toes... a car wash trickling with beams of sunlight slowly canvasing my body - it was divine!

Next, with my eyes closed, I listened and focused on sound. I heard a competition between nature and mankind. Crickets, birds, the buzz of a nearby electrical box, the brakes of a semi stopping at a nearby stop sign, a motorcycle cruising by... all competing to be heard. It was nice to sit back and listen to something other than the thoughts in my head or the other various stimuli inside a busy day.

It's amazing how the sun and these surrounding sounds fashioned my background until I chose to bring them front and center. For one moment, I was in the moment... unlike now as I reflect back on it.

My point in writing this... we have this unique ability to create. We can create the moments that separate our lives from the rat race, that take our souls soaring above the chaos, that give our hearts time to rest. We have that ability as creators. We are amazing individuals...naturally creative, resourceful and whole.

Is your body aching to rest? Is it summoning you to create a hand picked moment to unwind? Listen and gather the gifts. I did.

6 comments:

Tobey said...

That's an exceptional way to be sick, Mrs. Albright. I can't wait to see what you do with the words in your new blog.

Andrew said...

Robin:

Profound and soothing words for a misty autumn Sunday. Thanks for pointing me towards your blog.

Andrew

Anonymous said...

Only if you had a water fall in your back yard and a cool breeze and the sun hitting you from time to time.....T&G

Unknown said...

Isn't it wonderful to apply all of the wonderful knowledge you have gained as a coach to your own life? I applaud you for your insight. I'm also looking forward to your blog. I love the way you write!!!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy Taylor said...

It is amazing what rest can do for us. One day I escaped into my backyard at night time and stared up at the stars while laying on my kids trampoline. The sound of the crickets and frogs was so peaceful. Funny thing was I didn't tell any of my kids or my hubby where I was going and they were a little worried somebody came into the house and kidnapped me. :) Excellent post Robin! We all need to step back and relax once in awhile and enjoy life!